Thursday, June 21, 2012

Caste


It was a tale of my past when I was in a job of professor in a college. Oneday one of my affectionate students invited me to attend the wedding ceremony of his elder brother. His house was in his native village Subarnapur. To reach there we have to cross the river Atharobaki. He pressed me so strongly that I couldn't refuse him.

I returned from the college and discussed all about the matter with my wife. My wife expressed her desire to visit village. It was the season of winter. The village paths were dry. Wedding ceremony attendance and village visit both would be executed in a single tour. My wife admitted. So we took the decision to attend the wedding ceremony. My wife told me to purchase a presentation. I purchased that in the night.

Next-day was fri-day and a holiday. We became ready early in the morning and started to join there. We hired a rickshaw to reach the river-side. It was then about 9'o clock. We hired a boat. After many days the journey by boat was much charming to us. Our minds became full of joy to see the river-views of our reverine Bangladesh. We crossed the river Vairab and entered into the river Atharobaki. The river Atharobaki was a narrow river. We're looking the sceneries of both sides. Our eyes became refreshed looking the scenes of distantly placed little villages, green vegetations, golden paddy fields, farmer's harvest, village wives with their jars in the hips and the bathing of children in the river. After an hour we entered into a narrow canal from the river. We had to go further to reach the village. We reached the village Subarnapur when it was half past eleven. We left the boat and I saw my student. He was waiting for us. He became very glad to see us. We began to walk in the village paths. Advancing through the serpentine paths of the village we ultimately reached his house. The gate of the house was decorated with red, blue papers. Musical records're playing through mike. Gatherings of the guests were clearly indicating the wedding house. My wife joint the ladies guests and I joint the gents. I exchanged the greetings with all. Everyone became pleased for our participation. The elder brother of my student cordially met with us. We congratulated him and his bride. The bride was beautiful.

After mid-day prayer the dinner was started. Though it was a village wedding ceremony yet the menu was much standared. We took our meals with much satisfaction. After dinner we went for a walk to the rest part of the village. The shades of the trees, chattering of the birds and cool air of the village refreshed our bodies and minds. We went to the paddy field. The farmers're harvesting their crops. The smell of the soil and crops touched our hearts. We used live in the town. Naturally we didn't get the eternal smell of the soil of Bengal. So we tried to enjoy those moments whole heartedly. I took a bunch of ripe golden spikes of paddy. We're absorbed in our walk so deeply that we didn't trace the time. Meanwhile the day advanced enough and the sun was about to set. Our minds inclined us to return home. The village was looked beautiful in the day-light but not so when evening dark overwhelmed the locality. We live in the illuminate town by electric light but dark night in the village makes us timid. I told to my student to arrange our return journey. He could hire a boat when the sun was setting. The west-sky became coloured with the rosy dusk. Evening would be overcasted soon. Our minds became some how melancholy.

With permission of all when we started our return journey the dark was dispersed every where. My wife said to me, "You're too late to return." I replied, " I was too absorbed to enjoy the natural beauties of the village that I couldn't trace the time." Our boat was advancing through the narrow canal. Dark was every where. Only the light of the lamps from the cottages're coming to our eyes now and then. The crickets started to sound. There're two boat men in our boat. One of them was old and was keeping the steering and the young was rowing the boat with oar. We’re advancing rapidly but we didn't reach the river Atharobaki still then. Loneliness and silence made us benumbed. My wife sat on the boat very close to me. Our minds became effusive with many thinkings. Meanwhile the fullmoon  appeared through a rupture of a cloud in the east-sky. I said to my wife, “See, how beautiful the moon is’’ My wife replied, " Really." The moon exposed herself heavenly. We looked the moon through the branches of trees of the canal sides. We saw a pair of bird sat face to face on a hanging branch touching their beaks. My wife said, "look that pair of bird on the branch. How beautiful they're!" Silvery pleasing moon and the two birds on the branch created a heavenly scenery, as it were an unparallel painting of a Great Artist. It's the creation of  Almighty. The Almighty is above all artists. He has created this beautiful Earth in a spotless manner.

A deep thinking was created in my mind looking those birds in the moonlight. It was seemed to me that both of those birds're presenting  their loves to each other. I felt that those birds're the symbols of two eaternal races of the nature those’re the male and female. One of them is positive (+) and another is negative (-) in nature. An attraction always exists between them what is called love. These two existences're the initial existences of the creation. These two initial existences're the roots of all creations. That's why it was expressed in the holy religious book that the Almighty has created the universe with love. So my mind said that these two opposite, initial and eaternal existences're the real castes of the nature which are exhibited in the male and female forms. Male and female are the real castes of the nature. We have divided the mankind into different races and tribes but these're man-made and not natural.

I became so absorded in those thinking that I couldn't trace when our boat crossed the river Atharobaki, Vairab and reached the ferry. My wife indulged herself into sleep with her inchined head on my shoulder. I called her, "Hi, are you sleeping? We have reached the ferry." She got back her consciousness and said, "How strange! I didn't trace when I fell into sleep." I paid the boat-fare and started walking in the road. We're advancing to our house. We didn't feel to hire a rickshaw. We felt only that we the male and femal're walking togather. We're the representiteves of the two eternal and initial existences of the creation. We're the real castes of the nature.

1 comment:

  1. Beautifully captured the rustic settings of the village and the experiences. Keep writing -I enjoyed reading your blog, will visit again.

    ReplyDelete