Sunday, September 30, 2012

Ivory


I was reading a newspaper after having my breakfast. I heard a sound toon toon.... It was seemed to be the sound of the bell which is generally fastened in the neck of an elephant. My daughter was playing in the corridor. She ran to me and said, "Dad, let's see what a giant elephant's going?" I respond her call. I saw a big elephant was going. A bell was fastened in its neck which was emitting that sound. The elephant keeper was seated on its neck. A group of boys crowded behind the elephant and were making uproar. The elephant keeper was taking money by showing his elephant. The elephant was taking money by its trunk and offering salutation to the donors. Somebody was giving rice, banana, etc to the elephant. My daughter said to me, “Dad, give me a coin of one taka. I'll give it to the elephant." I gave her a coin of one taka. The elephant safely took the coin from the hand of my daughter and gave it to its keeper. I became astonished to see the technique by which man could control the wild beast. The elephant offered a salutation to us by raising its trunk. My daughter said to me, “Dad, see how big the tusks're!". I replied, “The elephant doesn't use these tusks for chewing but there're inner ones for the purpose." I was seated in the room. The Scene of those tusks of the elephant came into my inner eyes. I remembered many tales. The white tusks of elephant are called ivory. These are very valuable. Valuable sculptures and ornaments're made of ivory. These're appreciated from the ancient time. I remembered the old Arabian merchants. They made voyages with their big sailing boats. They discovered a sea-route. They used to start their voyages from Persian Bay and proceeded along coastal belt. They ultimately reached the Lanka Island. At present that island is named as Srilanka. Ivory was found in the hills of that island. They used to collect ivory from their. Then they further advanced to reach the golden islands. Java, Sumatra, Borneo etc. islands're previously called as golden islands. These islands're now within the territory of Indonesia. Ivory's found in plunty in these islands. They used to collect ivory from there and then they started their return voyage. Their voyages're full of danger. The tales of Sindbad came to my memory. A tale of ivory collection was written in the eighth voyage of Sindbad.
Thinking these tales I remembered a quotation of my master "Elephant’s inner teeth're for chewing but outer tusks're showy.” There're some people in our society who've two appearenes. In broad day-light they maintain a decorum to show the social work but in the dark night they do all sorts of illegal works behind the vision of common people. Just like elephant they've inner teeth for eating and the outer tusks to mask their real behaviours. Let’s consider the matter of politicion of our country. Most of them use sweet words in their lectures but they don't do what they say. Their sweet words're just like the white showy tusks of elephant. Most of them're liar and deceive the people. These types of thinkings're evolving in my mind just like bubbles and were gradually dissolving.

In the afternoon when I was making myself ready to go to the library my daughter came to me and said, "Dad, let's go to the circus." I replied, “What circus?" She replied, “The elephant that you've seen in the morning is the elephant of the circus. I've heard a circus was started in our locality. My girl friends'll go there. You’ve to take me there also.” I couldn't refuse her. I couldn't go to the library in that day. I ought to take my daughter there. I purchased two tickets and we intered into the circus pandle. We're enjoying the circus. There're many kinds of events, rope-walk, swinging, gymnastics, etc. The events of beast're started later. I saw the events of tiger, lion and horse. At last that very elephant came to show circus. It stood on a small ball and raised its trunk for the salutation to the visitors. I saw  its black  broad abdomen and two exposed white tusks. It was seemed to be a real symbol of a cheat politician. Exploiting the people's wealth it has made a big black abdomen and also a large black body by exploiting black money. Nevertheless it was showing its two white tusks. It's its temptation. I felt a botheration and got out from the circus pavilion with my daughter. I tried to erase the scene of that elephant but failed. I felt that as it were the two white ivory tusks of that elephant were coming to exploit me.

No comments:

Post a Comment